Henrie Daniel

download Henrie Daniel

of 24

Embed Size (px)

Transcript of Henrie Daniel

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    History of Daniel & Amanda Bradley Henrie

    Written 1955 for Daughters of Utah Pioneers

    By Callie O. Morley -- great-grand daughter

    At times the name Henrie has been spelled 39 different ways, the most notable beingHenry, Henery, Hendry, Henerie and Henrie. William, the heir of the Utah line, choseHenrie as his way of spelling it when he came west, and all of his descendants haveretained it.

    Daniel Henrie was born 15 November 1824 at Miami, Hamilton County, Ohio, toWilliam and Myra Mayall Henrie.

    He was of Scotch Irish descent, his progenitors having fled from Ayrshire, Scotland toNorth Ireland in the 13th Century because of religious persecution. In the 17th century

    they were mostly settled around Colerain when religious persecutions again broke andJean and Michial Henrie who were the first to start the line in America sailed fromNewbury, Ireland and landed at Perth Amboy, New Jersey. From there we follow sixgenerations of a family who produced many leaders for a new land when it was fightingfor its life. William Henrie became a very influential man around Lancaster County,Pennsylvania. His activities in behalf of the colonies as Commissary of the regiment oftroops and member of the Continental Congress later in 1784 are notable, and those of hisson Michial as a general in the Revolutionary War are matters of history.

    Michial's son, Daniel, was a noted government surveyor, having had a part in thesurveying of the Mason Dixon line.

    Daniel's second son, William Henrie, was born in West Virginia, settled in Ohio, marriedMyra Mayall, migrated westward with the "Mormons" to Jackson County, Missouri, thento Nauvoo and later to Utah as a member of the first Brigham Young Company to enterSalt Lake Valley. (For a more detailed account of these progenitors read the history ofWm and Myra Mayall Henrie which I wrote and precedes this story.)

    When Daniel first came into the world his parents were already part of the greatwestward movement. William, the father, had left his widowed mother and two sisters ontheir estate at Millers Run, Wood County, West Virginia, and his mother, Myra Mayallwhose parents were from Saddleworth, York, England, and whose step father was JamesRadcliff, (founder of Radcliff College at Boston, Mass. ???) had her way westward to

    Cincinnati where she married William, 17 November 1824. (???)

    They settled on a large tract of land at Miami, Ohio and proceeded to build a saw mill,grist mill, till the land and raise fine horses. Seven children were born to them. They wereDaniel, James, Joseph, Margaret, Sara, Samuel and Mary.

    Up to the time Daniel was about 10 years old his family was engrossed in the struggles ofmaking a living and forging ahead when there became much talk of a new religion

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    headed by Joseph Smith Jr., commonly called Mormonism. The Henries were Methodistsand did not pay too much attention to the rumors until Parley P. Pratt and Samuel Smithcame to their home preaching the Latter Day Saints or Mormon doctrine. They wereimpressed with the gospel message and felt that it was true, but were reluctant to join thegroup. However, many cottage meetings were held in their home. They were counciled

    further in the principles of the gospel, asked to help the brethren in the building of thestakes of Zion and furthering the cause both spiritually and materially.

    They were not baptized into the church however, until after they had met the prophet,Joseph Smith. When he came to their home they said he possessed a magnetic personalitythat was so great that it almost seemed that a power drew you toward him with bothhands.

    All members of the family except Daniel were baptized into the church 17 July 1842.

    Over a period of the last 10 years feeling and persecution of the Mormons raised to afever pitch, birck bats were thrown through windows, walls were torn down, homes were

    set on fire, and LDS members were chased by mobs, tarred and feathered, and held up topublic mockery as figures of contempt. Daily papers carried articles of ridicule, and manymembers holding high authority in the church were forced to flee to Jackson County,Missouri.

    As soon as they could after their baptism, the Henrie family began to dispose of theirholdings. Loading as much of their machinery, tools, and household things as they couldinto wagons, they went their second son James and some hired men overland to the newchurch settlement at Jackson County, Missouri, while the rest of the family exceptDaniel, proceeded by boat down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers to the same place.

    Daniel was left behind to dispose of any unfinished business, and upon its completion he

    followed them west to Nauvoo where the family had gone when they were driven fromJackson County with the other saints.

    They bought a fam belonging to Joseph Smith, and it was located in the middle of twoother pieces of land owned by him. Every day the prophet would pass by their home anddrop in for a friendly chat, a glass of cold butter milk, a hot biscuit or anything motherMyra might have on hand. All of the Henrie boys admired and loved him because he wasa good athlete as well as a spiritual leader. All of the Henrie boys were strong and wirey.They loved to wrestle, throw weights, foot race and high jump.

    Daniel told of one instance when he walked up to one of their high corral gates. He said itmeasured up to his chin, he backed up, took a running jump and cleared it easily. Hisbrothers performed the same feat. The Prophet loved to participate in these sports andalthough the Henrie boys often outran him or beat him in other things, when he thought itwas his turn to win, and he really tried, he could out do them all. He was their friend, butalso a leader of men in the ways of God. He always pronounced a blessing upon thefamily before he left the place.

    As we know from church history, Nauvoo was made into a beautiful city by the Saints,but many people who dwelt there were warped by false notions of hate and greed,

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    persecution of the saints became a ritual, with the wicked inflicting hardships, mobviolence, confiscation of property, tar and feathering of individuals, burning of homes,lynching and finally murder when the Prophet and his brother Hyram were martyred.

    The Henrie family like all of the other saints lived through these perilous times and didwhat they could. They helped build the Nauvoo temple, hauling rocks, mixing mortar,using the hammer and saw, standing watch or whatever was required of them. They builtand ran a gist mill, grew grain for flower and raised cattle, and continued to raise manyfine horses. Brother Taylor borrowed one of these horses for the Prophet's last trip to theCarthage jail, the trip from which he did not return alive. The Henries were among themany mourners at the Prophet's funeral and spoke of seeing Emma kneeling at the side ofhere husband's casket before the services.

    After this event things worsened materially for the saints, persecutions not only continuedbut internal strife as to who had the authority of leadership was a threat to their survival.

    When a meeting for all the members of the church was called to determine who was to be

    the new Latter-day Saint leader, William and his sons Daniel, James, Joseph and Samuelall were in attendance, but when Brigham Young stepped forward to present his claims tothe position, and the mantle of Joseph fell upon him, all those present took it as a sign ormanifestation that this man was the chosen leader.

    The Henrie family talked of this miracle for days and they were not alone, hundreds ofpeople saw and testified to it.

    It was the final thing that made Daniel seek membership in the church. He was baptizedin the Mississippi River 16 July 1845 (Temple record). He testified many times to whathe saw in this meeting, but many years later in Panguitch, Utah where they had met for afamily reunion those same four brothers, Daniel, James, Joseph and Samuel all arose to

    their feet and told of seeing and hearing this soul stirring event. They said they were wideawake, there was no hokus-pokus about it. It was true and it was real and an unforgettabletestimony of the gospel.

    When conditions became so bad the saints could endure them no longer, and BrighamYoung advised them to move to Iowa, they hurriedly packed as many of their belongingsas possible and crossed the ice in the dead of winter to make a camp on Sugar Creek.Their was ice on the river, but some of the cattle Daniel was in charge of went throughthe ice and headed down stream. Daniel jumped into the water and tried to head themback in the right direction, but the water was so cold he began to get cramps and had toturn back.

    The Henries established themselves with the others when they reached Nebraska andwent in to Winter Quarters. Here Daniel was made official captain of the night watch forall the community corralled cattle. They had to herd these cattle all night long to keepIndians, thieves and marauders away, but Daniel liked the job because he liked cattle andhorses, and it left him free part of the day to plant grain, make repairs on wagonharnesses or for whatever was needed for the forth coming big immigration westward.

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    Plans for this trip had been presented to the saints in a meeting at Sugar Creek at whichtime it was also decided that here should be an advance company of 100 mounted mensent forth to blaze the trail and find suitable place to settle while the main body of thechurch members should go into Winter Quarters and make preparations to grow crops ofgrain during the summer and be ready to push forward to their new home the following


    Aside from his strength of body and character, Daniel's father William Henrie had manyother fine qualities which made him a good candidate for this trip. He was an experiencedfrontier woodsman and excellent marksman and hunter, and had good equipment andmany fine horses. He was chosen as a member of the 5th 10 of the second 50 group underCaptain Stephen H. Goddard.

    But this trip was delayed when the U.S. Government asked for 500 volunteers to form abattalion from their members to march to Mexico in Lower California to help put downthe rebellion there. Col. Kerney and Col. Allen made the request in behalf of thePresident of the United States. Daniel Henrie stepped forth and signed his name as one of

    the 500 volunteers for this assignment at Council Bluffs on the 16th day of July 1846. Hewas assigned to Company D. under Captain Nelson Higgins.

    They were told that it would be a way of getting to the west at government expense, plus7 dollars per month if a private, and 50 dollars per month if an officer, and that therewould be certain advantages to them as to all military such as guns, ammunition, landrights, etc.

    Brigham Young called all these men together on the 19th of July and gave theminstruction and council. He told them to go and server their country and be faithful totheir church and people. That their efforts would be rewarded with success and that muchgood would come from this service.

    For the next few days great preparations were made. Daniel turned his job of officialCaptain of the night watch of the community cattle over to his brother James, outfittedhimself with a blanket and some heavy woolen clothing for winter use and did what hecould to prepare for a years journey.

    For some time now Daniel had been keeping company with Amanda, the beautiful darkhaired daughter of Thomas Jefferson and Betsy Kroll Bradley. Amanda's father had diedwhen she was a little girl back in New York and her mother had married her father'syounger brother, George W. Bradley who had raised them, loved them, and been like afather to her, her brother Jerome and sister Cynthia Abiah, and now there were other

    younger children in the family.

    During the festivities of dancing and singing that had been arranged to give the boys agood send off, Amanda told Daniel that she would wait for him and meet him in Zion.And on the 21st of March 1846, the men of the battalion marched away to the tune of"The Girl I Left Behind Me", and many unshed tears dimmed the eyes of those samegirls.

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    The soldiers began their long journey on foot and after 11 days arrived at FortLevenworth, Kansas where they received blankets, utensils, canteen, guns, ammunitionand rations and were allowed a short rest. Their next stop was to be Santa Fe. NewMexico, and before this place was reached they suffered untold miseries of heat, deepsand, lack of water, sickness, and things almost beyond endurance. Daniel recalled more

    than one incident of bravery when great herds of buffalo bore down on them, trampingeverything under their pounding hoofs, but they were advised to hold their fire till theycould kill the leaders, and this separated the herd so that men, animals, wagons andsupplies were all saved. The buffalo that were killed were used as food for a few days andwhen any wood could be found there would be a good fire and heat for their bodies, butmost of their cooking had to be done with buffalo chips for the prairie was barren. Theyhad to dig for water most every day and when they did reach it, it was salty or swampy,sulphurous and often unfit for use.

    They were called to load their 16 lbs of equipment on their back and hitch up the animalsto the supply wagon, then begin the march at 2 a.m. in the morning to get out of some ofthe heat at 11 a.m. they would stop and camp while they got a little something to eat, but

    food became very scarce. Rations were being cut until there was almost nothing left toeat. Men got so hungry they killed snakes, cut off their heads, skinned, cooked and atethem, and even became so desperate that they boiled old buffalo hides they found lyingon the plains, ate thistle roots if they could find them, and in desperation finally boiledtheir leather belts and saddle bags to get what little strength there might be in the broth.

    Sickness set in, men women and children suffered with chills, fever, pneumonia anddiahrea. They ran out of food, but Daniel said they never ran out of Camomile tea. It waspassed around by the Captains, with orders to drink it and each man was forced to take aswallow or two of it, for it was supposed to keep sickness and disease away. Daniel hatedthe stuff so bad that he could not make himself swallow it and would hold it in his mouth

    until he could get where he could spit it out, and years afterward when his teeth loosenedand had to be pulled he swore it was due to the effects of this terrible tea and just onemore sacrifice he made for the good of the cause.

    When Colonel Allen died, August 23, 1846, it was a severe blow to the MormonBattalion for he had been their friend, they admired and respected him and he was kindand considerate of them. The opposite was true of the officer who later took his place,and the extra marches and work he put them to was especially hard on the Mormonsbecause they were already weakened by their experiences at Nauvoo.

    It was especially hard on the women folk who had been allowed to go along with theirhusbands as wash somen, cooks, etc. and so at Arkansas, 15 families were sent back to

    Fort Pueblo under Captain Brown. From Santa Fe, 86 sick men were sent back to Puebloand from there they were sent north till they joined the main caravan of Pioneers whowere on the march to Utah.

    Those who remained with the Battalion often traveled 25 miles a day through intense sun,heat and sand with no water or feed for their mules or pack animals, and with shriveledgrass no more than a couple of inches high. Then on October 2nd when they reached theRed River, they received word that if they did not reach Santa Fe by October 10th they

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    would be discharged. Many of the men were so exhausted, foot sore and disabled that apicked number of 250 men were sent ahead. Daniel was on of the more sturdy soldiersand was one of those chosen to go. They arrived at Santa Fe on the 9th of October whereColonel Cook formally took command. They received their mustering out pay here andstayed till the 19th of October.

    One blanket was all they had to roll up in the night and it was scarcely enough whenweather got cold and the ground was hard and frozen. The animals also were breakingdown because of lack of food.

    Daniel said he would never forget the 15 th day of November, 1846 for it was on that dayhe was assigned the task of loading a small detail of men back to find a poor sick oldwhite draft ox that had been left behind to die. He said they pulled bunch grass with theirhands and poured water from canteens into his hat so the poor old thing could drink andwith much hissing and coaxing, they finally got the emaciated animal to its feet and backto camp where the quartermaster ordered it killed and rationed out to the men for food.Because of this incident this place has retained the name of White Ox Creek or Valley

    and is now a thriving part of Arizona.

    Colonel Cook's hatred toward his men never ceased, he gave orders for work and travelon empty stomachs and cared more that his mules be watered than that the parched lips ofhis men be moistened. Wells had been dug most of the way, but here more often than notdry holes were encountered. Daniel gave the last water he had in his canteen to a manburning up with fever and out of his head in delirium, then walked for 70 miles inblistering heat before getting any water for himself and by this time his lips were parchedand his tongue was swollen.

    In a few places meat was plentiful from wild cattle on the plains, but Colonel Cookwould not allow his men to kill any for food. However, Daniel said many of themsneaked out in the dark of night and did kill a little to eat, then they would roll up in theirblanket on the hard ground and try to sleep. They suffered untold privations goingthrough this hot and cold desolate land, now Arizona.

    On December 20, 1846 at Pima, the Maricopa Indians who lived along the Salt River andwore little if any clothing, proved friendly and sold them dry beans, squash and otherarticles. These Indians now live on part of the Pima Reservation. The men traded themthe clothes off their backs for these things and then Colonel Cook came and said theycould not take the extra stuff with them, but they managed to hide it and take it alonganyway. After this they were marched far out of their way south and over the border ofwhat is now old Mexico.

    On January the 8th they reached the Gila River in Arizona and for the next 3 days traveledover hot deep sands where they encountered drought and extreme temperatures. Theseconditions coupled with short rations caused the men to drop in their tracks like flies.This country is now known as death valley. There was no grass for a stretch of over 400miles and no water for over 100 miles. Animals lived on buds off the mesquite brush andmen trudged on to Pometo where they arrived January 19th to receive plenty of water andsample grass for their animals. They hoped things would be better now, but it was not so

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    for when they crossed the Gila River they lost almost all of their remaining flour and hadnothing left to eat but beef and not enough of that.

    All along the way and especially from Santa Fe they had dug wells for water, but whenthey reached the Colorado Desert very deep holes had to be dug and again often dry holeswere encountered. Men had to help the teams pull supplies by attached ropes and in theirweakened condition it was torture. They wrapped raw hide around their feet to protectthem from sharp rocks and burning sands, for their shoes had long since worn out. It wasblazing hot in the day and cold at night and their thirst, hunger and fatique so weakenedthem that they were hardly able to speak.

    Wagons had to be taken apart and raised with ropes over a precipice or else roads cutthrough solid rock. And all of this with very little if any food in their stomachs. No treeshad been seen for about eight hundred miles, then finally on the 21st of January thesummit of the Sierra Nevada Mountains was reached and a couple of days later theycame upon an oak tree. And it seemed to be the only one in existence for even when theyreached the wild oat clover covered hills and bluffs above San Diego there were still no

    trees, only wide stretches of white, sandy beach and the blue of the great Pacific Ocean.

    They camped about 3 miles from the Beach and then on January 29, 1847 weregarrisoned at the San Louis Ray Mission where they were kept busy drilling wells,building roads and digging ditches.

    Daniel, ever on the alert to serve his fellow man as well as himself, began to buy beefcattle from Mexicans who brought them to camp to sell. He had picked up a good bit ofthe Mexican language, and although he got so he could bargain well and be understoodby these people he also found he could not trust them. They would sell cattle to himduring the day, then come and steal the critters back during the night and try to sell themto him again the next morning. He soon got next to what was going on and conducted aprofitable business till the battalion was honorably released with mustering out pay, July16, 1847 at Los Angeles.

    The Battalion men were so well liked that they were asked to stay and reenlist in theservice. They had determined the rights of the United States to New Mexico, WesternColorado, California, Nevada and Utah territory and now most of them were anxious toreturn home. They organized into groups of 100, 50, and 10 with Captains over eachgroup as had been done before and started their long march north to Sacramento. Theywere told that it was 70 miles by way of the sea shore or 600 miles along the base of themountain route. They arrived at Sutters Fort near Sacramento on August 26, 1847, afterabout one month of very difficult, steady traveling.

    At Sacramento, work seemed to be plentiful and word had come that food was scarce inthe great Salt Lake basin, so Daniel decided to stay where he was over winter. He found aplace where he could get board and room for $3.50 per week, so he took it, then went towork building log houses and thus built some of the first homes ever built in this capitolcity of California.

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    He was glad he had made this decision for many of those who had decided to go on toSalt Lake returned when word was sent from relatives and the authorities of the Churchto stay and work so they could earn money to help their families.

    Daniel replenished his clothes and bought a pair of shoes which cost him $4.50. He alsoopened up a meat market, bought and slaughtered cattle and cut it up and sold it to thesettlers again.

    On Monday morning January 4, 1848, news leaked out that James Marshal and the crewat Sutters Mill in American Canyon, California had found gold. Daniel being anopportunist immediately went there and began panning for the precious metal below thefloom of the mill. This was very wild country. The place was surrounded by highmountains, tall redwood, pines and thick under brush. It also abounded with grizzly bear,wolves, and Indians, so men had to take precautions to protect themselves.

    Daniel was very successful in his efforts. He would pan and gather what gold he couldfind in the day and then at night he would sew it into little square canvas bags, so that by

    the time he decided to go to Salt Lake, around the first of May, in 1849, he had a sizeablesalt sack full of nuggets and much gold dust. The question was how to take it with him.So he began looking around for some good, strong animals. One day he found just whathe was looking for, a beautiful great big black stallion. It was a beauty, full of life, vigor,and fight. So he bought it and took it to his camp. It was the envy of all the men there andone fellow offered him $1,000 for the horse. He thought this was such a good price thathe sold him. But he could not feel good about it. He tossed and turned all night and couldnot sleep for thinking about that beautiful horse. So at sun up the next morning he wentback to the buyer and offered him more money to trade back and man accepted the deal.He was so tickled to get the stallion back that he had silver shoes made and nailed on hisfeet and rode him about the settlement with great pride. He then set about making

    preparations to go to Salt Lake city.

    All of the little bags of gold dust he had labored over so hard all winter were sewnbetween two blankets and when he was ready to leave, this blanket was doubled once andlaid over the stallion's back like a saddle blanket, fastened underneath and the saddle puton top and sinched in place. Next came his bed roll, bake oven, skillet, utensils, and watercanteen. All were tied on and he began his perilous journey over the high, dangerousSierra Nevada Mountains alone. The rough, granite ledges and steep canyons would havebeen treacherous even if he had dared follow the broken immigrant trail, but highwayrobbers, bad men and marauding Indians lay in wait at every turn, ready to relieve theirunsuspecting victim or Mormon prospector of any good or gold he may have. A man'slife meant nothing to these human parasites, they were always ready to kill a traveler for

    what loot they could find on him, so Daniel avoided the beaten path.

    He walked, and traveled mostly by night to conceal his movements and so his heavilyladen horse would be spared the heat and thus reserve as much strength as possible forthe long hazardous trip. During the day he would try to find some water and grazing forhis horse and a place to hide up and sleep and rest. Sometimes it would be in a ravinebehind a large rock or in the shade of underbrush, or wherever possible. If he could find astream he would catch fish and eat them raw for in most cases he did not dare build a fire

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    for fear the smell of smoke would bring down his enemies upon him. In some places hewas lucky enough to find and pick wild servis berries which were delicious, especially onthe first part of his journey when he traveled through Bear Valley. Here there were plentyof huge trees and scrub oak, bear tracks were al over and he saw many deer, but as hewent further north eastward into what is now Nevada no trees were to be seen anywhere,

    only miles and miles of sage brush and in many places it was so hot and dry that even thesage brush refused to grow. Daniel was hard pressed to find even shriveled wisps of grassor anything he could pull to feed his horse. When he could, he followed the trail near theHumbolt River and came upon the site of the Indian (?) massacre of the Donner party, hesaid it was sure a mess. Wagon wheels and parts of wagons were scattered everywhere.Bones and old weather beaten bits of clothing, skeletons and hides of what was oncehorses and oxen were strewn about the camp site and even partly uncovered shallowgraves were exposed to view.

    Daniel always kept his canteen full of water, for sometimes there would be days when thecanteen had to supply water for him and his horse, and if there was not enough for bothhe went without and at one time two days went by.

    He was successful in killing a coyote, a few jack rabbits and even shot a few ducks nearsome marshes when he felt it was safe to shoot, but this he dared not do very often.

    After months of weary travel he passed over the southern boundary of what is now Idaho,skirted the north end of the great Salt Lake, came through what is now Box Elder County,through the settlement of Ogden and finally on to Bountiful or the Sessions settlementwhere he had a most happy reunion with his family. He thanked God that his life hadbeen spared and protected from harm and disease and that he had good health so that hecould return to enjoy this moment, for he had just completed a march of over twothousand miles for what is now known as the longest march in history. It was October


    His parents had preceded him to Utah. His father had come with the 5th ten in the firstBrigham Young company. He had helped to build the old pioneer fort and lived there fora short time and had been one of the first speakers in the old willow covered bowery. Hehad helped Parley P. Pratt scout Utah Lake, Cedar Valley, Tooele Valley, and the widestretch between Salt Lake and the Santa Clara River which was virgin territory to the footof the white man. He was in the Bishopric of the old First Ward and lived for a short timein the old 8th Ward, then early in 1848 the church authorities had sent him 9 miles northof Salt Lake to help Perrigrine Sessions settle what later became North Bountiful.Sessions had lived there alone during the winter in a dugout with skins over the top.

    Daniel's mother and four brothers and one sister all spent the winter of 1846 and 1847 atWinter Quarters at Council Bluffs, Iowa, then came west with the 2nd big Brigham Youngcompany under Capt. Heber C. Kimball. That is, all except brother James who drove ateam in the Allen Taylor and Samuel Snyder company.

    Father William had selected some land which he was homesteading in the Sessionssettlement and had a place in the nearby canyon ready to erect a mill. He built a log house

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    and took advantage of a spot on his land by which a creek ran to build a mill pond and awheel race so he could saw wood.

    His sons James, Joseph and Sam were all busy preparing the soil and freighting toOregon for the Church for sugar factory machinery. Mother Myra taught theneighborhood children how to read, write and spell.

    Daniel was tired for a short time after his journey, but he was young, burning withambition and ready to take up his new life in Zion and settle down. So with some of hisprecious gold dust he purchased some choice land that was covered with tall, wavinggrass in South Bountiful or Sessions settlement and built a nice two room log house. Heskinned the logs so it would have a nice appearance. And it was decided that the streetrunning east by Daniel Henrie's house should be opened within a month and be calledHenrie Street (old Bountiful record).

    Then on the 29th of October 1849 he rode into Salt Lake and was married to hissweetheart Amanda Bradley. They were married by President Brigham Young in the

    front room of the new log house that her folks had built a short time before. Amanda hadin her hope chest some linen sheets she had spun and wove herself, and Daniel gave hisbride a lovely full set of pink on white, garden scenery, Long port China for a weddingpresent. It was made by T.J. and G.T. Mayer and was quite a gift in those days.

    One day shortly after they were settled in their own home there seemed to be quite acommotion out in the corral. Daniel and Amanda rushed out to see the big black stallionwith glazed eyes, snorting and rearing on his hind legs, and pawing anything in sight withhis front feet. Daniel tried to quiet the animal, but something had badly frightened it andhe seemed to be enraged. Daniel picked up a club to protect himself and yelled at his wifeto get away from the fence, but he was too late, one of the flying hoofs had hit a glancingblow and cut a deep jagged gash on Amanda's cheek. Daniel on seeing all of that bloodon his wife's face became so angry at the horse that he hit it as hard as he could over thehead with his club and the great horse fell dead at his feet. Amanda carried the scar to hergrave.

    At every opportunity Daniel encouraged Amanda to tell him about their experiences atWinter Quarters, of their trip to the great west and of her family and people. Amanda'sparents had come from Salem, Erie County, New York. They had joined the Latter-daySaints Church the 2nd day of July 1842 and cast their fortunes with a brave, butpersecuted people. George W. followed the trade of Cooper and they traveled with thesaints westward to Kirtland, Ohio, through Indiana and Mississippi to Nauvoo in Illinoiswhere they had settled on a farm belonging to Joseph Smith and adjoining the land

    bought by the William Henrie family. And like the Henrie family they had beenthreatened, robbed, mobbed and were forced to flee for their lives from the beautiful citythey had helped to build and learned to love. Because of improper shelter, food andclothing, little Jacob Joseph and baby Levina became ill; they died and were buried onthe way to the west. A half bushel of meal in three weeks and what wild greens theycould gather were scarcely enough for a family of nine.

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    The Bradleys made their way on to Council Bluffs and settled down at Winter Quartersliving in wagon boxes and crude shelters. People came down with chills and fever andwhen snow swirled around the wagon boxes people died with pneumonia. Amandaherself had become a victim to the terrible plague of black canker. Her throat and mouthwere so sore she could not eat, and large canker sores as big as 50 pieces covered her

    entire body. No one expected she could possibly live till an old woman came to thewagon to offer her services to the desperate family. She said, "Sister Bradley I think I cancure your daughter," and she gave Betsy a bottle of reddish-brown medicine that lookedsomething like catsup, only it was sweet and had a pleasant flavor. Amanda wasadministered to by the Elders and took this medicine, a teaspoon full 3 times a day andwas returned to health. The old lady to ld Betsy and Amanda how to make this medicineby burning coppurs and alum on a fire shovel and adding healing golden seal and otheringredients to it. This recipe has been made, given away or sold by members of thisfamily since that day and is still sold in Moroni and surrounding towns by some ofAmanda's great grand children.

    They had left Winter Quarters to come to Utah the 27th of May with the 1st Division, 3rd

    Company of the 2nd or big Brigham Young Company. Lorenzo Snow was the Captainover their 100.

    She remembered the howl of the coyote when they took turns standing watch at night andby day the lizards, the prairie dogs, rattle snakes and terrible, terrible choking dust.Amanda drove an ox team and walked almost all the way bare foot so that some of theyounger children could ride. A loaded pistol was fastened near the front of the wagonwhere she could reach it quickly for protection, especially against hostile Indians. Thewagon had to drive double file in Indian country where danger was greater, and thedouble clouds of dust made it almost impossible for any of them to breathe, but especiallywas it so of Amanda and her mother Betsy. Both fought for their breath, coughed and

    suffered greatly.

    The sight of cottonwood trees, grass and bushes were always a welcome sight, and somestreams provided them with a meal of fish which they caught with stick, hook and stringline. They were mostly suckers, carp or cat fish, but they tasted good and sometimes theysaw and killed an antelope or deer for food. Every morning the wagons began to move at7 a.m. and sometimes made as much as 20 miles, other times they made no more than 3miles. Sometimes they encountered rivers with quick sand in the bottom and suitablecrossings up or down stream had to be located. Sometimes they had to fasten ropes to thewagons and help the critters pull them over the steep mountain passes and at other timesthey encountered chuck holes, mud or deep sand. On the prairies there was terrific heat

    and in the mountains cold nights, but they finally arrived in the great Salt Lake Valley the15th of September 1848.

    After checking in they drove 6 miles north of Salt Lake Valley and camped by some goodhot springs and high willows, thus becoming the first to settle South Bountiful or theWillow settlements as it was known then. About 8 families came and moved near themthat winter. (Ref. Andrew Jonsen, South Bountiful Ward Record). Here they took up 50acres of land built a log cabin and planted 4 acres of corn, but the crickets tookeverything and the parents and brothers and sisters subsisted that first year mostly on

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    sego lily roots, buds off the grease wood, wild greens and jack rabbits or anything theycould find to eat to keep body and soul together.

    In the spring of 1849 they moved to Salt Lake City where they built another log houseand farmed land he had been given in the big field at 9th south (in the vicinity of thepresent Liberty Park), and thought themselves very fortunate indeed when they secured afew potato peelings to plant for seed from the Heber C. Kinbal family.

    Amanda knew that her folks with 50 other families had received a call on the 28th ofOctober 1949, to go south and help build a new settlement in Sanpete County under theleadership of Father Isaac Morley. But she had not realized how lonesome or homesickshe would be without them for she loved them all dearly. George W. was really her uncle,but since he had married her mother he had taken care of Jerome, Cynthia, Abiah, andherself and loved them as his own children and they in turn loved him and their halfbrothers and sisters.

    Her folks sold their home now and let a man have their acreage in the big field for a span

    of mules, then packed and left for Sanpete. Now word had come that the company hadarrived at their destination 22 November 1849, but already were experiencing a greatshortage of supplies. The city fathers could see that they could not possibly make itthrough the winter and Salt Lake City was the closest source of supply. So JeromeBradley and John Hart volunteered to take the two Bradley wagons. Justus Dodge tookhis wagons and John Baker took the Jezrel Shoemaker wagon. Jerome was made captainor leader of the group and their trip to the city was uneventful.

    So when Amanda found her brother knocking on her door one bright morning she wasoverjoyed. Messages were delivered, new exchanged and wagons were loaded, mostlywith corn meal and other desperately needed supplies. At the last minute Daniel decidedthat since it was so late in the year much could not be accomplished on the farm and sinceAmanda was so homesick for her folks a visit might accomplish them on what theythought was to be a sort of delayed honeymoon.

    They arrived at Provo without incident and Daniel decided it would be a good thing tocall on his good friend Chief Walker. Walker was chief of all of the Utah Indians. He wasa good friend of President Brigham Young and had been baptized into the MormonChurch by him on the June 14, 1849 and it had been in answer to the Chief's request thathis people be taught how to farm and make homes that President Young had decided tomake a white settlement in Sanpete County. Daniel learned that Chief Walker was awayin the Navaho country on a horse raid and that while he had been gone one of themembers of his own immediate band had been killed. Reprisals were sought and "The

    Walker War" was on. Had Chief Walker been here at that time perhaps much troublecould have been averted. At any rate the travelers were told it was very dangerous totravel, especially since there had just been another killing.

    The party was delayed at Provo for two weeks and at the end of that time friendly ChiefAnawkats offered to let his son Tabinan go with them and act as guide. They were besetby the usual bad roads, mud holes, make shift bridges over wash outs and unsettledweather, but they arrived at the narrows or forks of Salt Creek (Nephi Canyon) when it

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    began to snow. The Shoemaker team which was in better shape and was ahead of theBradley team kept on going and got on through the canyon and eventually made it toManti, but the Bradley teams became exhausted and were forced to make camp. Snowfell heavily all that night and for 3 weeks it snowed every day and the sun did not shinebut there was continued storm clouds and snow. Snow piled up above the high willows

    along the creek and fire word and food became a major problem.

    One night a sick and injured Indian staggered into camp. He was half dead fromexhaustion, starvation and loss of blood. They bound his wounds as best they could andfed him until he was strong enough to get about. Tabinan said he had been in on a cattleraid, had been wounded and left behind because he was too weak to travel.

    Then one night some time later several painted Indians swooped down upon the campand seemed bent on destruction until they saw the wounded Indian. Apparently they (???)were his pals who had left him to die for he seemed to know them and a heated argumentwent on. Then suddenly they left without doing any harm. The wounded Indian went withthem and they were told by Tabinan that this Indian whom they had befriended had in

    turn saved their lives.

    As time went on all they had left to eat was corn meal dodgers or Johney cakes, andmelted snow water, so in desperation Daniel decided to go out and see if he could notfind some meat. He was successful in shooting a small faun which he tried to bring tocamp, but the crusted snow would break and let him through and he would flounder andpull the animal, only to fall again until in his weakened condition he finally becameexhausted and dropped in the snow almost unconscious. When night fall came on andDaniel had not arrived back in camp, they became alarmed and went out to look for himand were guided to his whereabouts when they heard a low moan no too far from camp.This meat along with a couple of jack rabbits caught by Jerome, materially strengthened

    them and their stomachs felt better than they had for many a day.

    By the time they had been in the canyon six weeks they knew that if they did not get outof there soon they would starve to death for it was now late in January, so Agustus Dodgeand the Indian Tabinan bound their legs and feet with empty burlap fee sacks and tiedthem with buckskin, wrapped themselves in blankets and started for Manti. The trip was amost hazardous one. When the crusted snow broke under weight the sharp edges hackedat their buck-skin trousers tearing and wearing them off to above the knee. The burlap ontheir feet and legs was cut to ribbons leaving these parts exposed and blue with cold, andeach new scratch and cut left its trail of red blood on the seemingly endless expanse ofwhite snow.

    At a point just west of Ephraim by an old oak tree (which still stands as of now), Dodgewas wrapped in what was left of his blanket and left to die. Tabinan struggled on andmade it to the outskirts of Manti where he was found more dead than alive. He notifiedthe settlement of the destitute condition of the trapped travelers. A relief party wasimmediately organized under the direction of Amanda's father, George W. Bradley andfriend Daniel B. Funk. Chief Walker had showed them how to make snow shoes andthese were of great value to them now. They also took along a big hand sleigh made byBrother Funk. Part of the men stopped to rescue Justus Dodge and brought him into

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    Manti. The others made their way to the point of the mountain south of Wales, thenmoved northward to the big spring (Ft. Green) where they spent the first night in an oldIndian wigwam. The next day they pressed on over the divide and then into the canyon.Advance Indian runners returned to assure the company that the travelers were still aliveand well. The rescuers finally reached the camp, but some of them were suffering from

    frozen feet so they rested briefly.

    During their short stay there, ten horsemen from the north arrived with a message forPresident Morley. They divided their scanty supplies with these men, but they were notsatisfied. During the night two of the men got up and stole what more they could findbefore going on their way.

    Amanda was pulled on the hand sleigh out of the canyon, her husband, father and BrotherFunk taking turns at the task. They had been fortunate the first night out to find a clumpof dry willows for fire wood and protection for it was bitter cold, and so after a mostharrowing experience of combating hunger, snow and the elements for 35 miles theyfinally arrived in Manti, almost more dead than alive. They were so exhausted that

    George W. said if he had had to walk just one more mile he could not have done it.

    The next day the sun came out and began to thaw. The whole valley became a sea ofslush, making it impossible for feed to be uncovered for the stock. It was like a goodomen or prediction of brighter things to come for all of these brave people.

    Amanda's folks lost over $1,000 in cash that had been laid out for supplies on this trip,for it was impossible to bring out the wagons till the following March, so people in thesettlement now put themselves on rations and shared what they had.

    The Bradleys had built the second log house in Manti (Seth Taft built the first one). Itwas a small 2 room structure, but they placed their wagon boxes against the house and

    close to the door way so they could be used as protection as well as extra rooms. It wasmuch better than the dugouts in the hill side where damp floors and slithering snakescaused sickness and danger.

    When the days grew warmer it seemed the whole side of the hill began to move and hisswith these venomous creatures. So all of the men of the settlement formed a squad toexterminate them. They carried pine know torches and clubs and killed over 500 snakes.

    Neither man nor beast had all they could eat that terrible winter in Manti. Conditionswere so severe that out of the Bradley herd of stock all that were saved when spring camewere 4 animals, a horse, cow and 2 oxen. Some people lost all they had. Everyonesuffered heavily. Sage brush and cedar was hunted for fire wood and brought in on handand bob sleighs. Bobcats and coyotes got away with sheep and chickens. There was coldsand sickness in almost every home, and snow ranged from 6 to 20 feet deep. StarvingIndians hung around waiting to make off with dead cattle so they cold feast on the pooremaciated corpse.

    The Henries stayed on in Manti with the Bradleys until spring broke and travel was againpossible. Daniel then returned to Bountiful where he planted his crops and attended toother matters. Amanda stayed on in Manti until June, sewing and preparing for the new

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    baby that was expected in the fall, then got a ride with a supply wagon going to Salt Lakeand returned to her home in Bountiful. Their daughter, Mary Amanda, was born here the4th of September 1850.

    When the crops were harvested in the fall, President Brigham Young called Daniel andAmanda on a mission to return to Manti among her people and help with the settlement.Daniel was a man of decision and was spoken of as a man who really got things done. Hecould speak the Indian language and was friendly with them. He also had a good wagon,team of horses and other assets which the church authorities thought would be of greatworth to the struggling settlement. This move entailed great sacrifice on the part of theHenries. It meant they must give up their favorable location, fertile land, their new homeand the association of Daniel's own family. But Daniel felt that since he had been calledby authority he could not refuse to go. Amanda was delighted. So they sold out andmoved to Manti. The settlers there had by this time decided that being good to the redman was not enough, some sort of more adequate protection had to be found. So theyselected 4 square blocks in the center of the settlement and enclosed it with a high logfence, forming a fort (later it was replaced by a 10 foot rock wall and enclosed the space

    later occupied by the tithing yard and tabernacle). Daniel and Amanda built a one roomlog house in the north east corner of this inclosure and out of necessity lived there for awhile sharing their lot with that of their neighbors.

    The Indians became more disgruntled and harder to please each day. They were campedto the east of the settlement over 700 strong, their wick-i-ups forging a semi-circle. Aftera successful foraging trip they would beat drums and dance all night long, and withwaving scalps and war clubs would tantalize their hostages. They lived fine until they hadused up what they had stolen, but were shiftless, lazy and starving, and to make mattersworse a siege of measles struck the camp. They blamed all of their troubles on the whiteman, and the tempo of bad feelings was stepped up. They begged by day and stole by

    night. It was said they planned to kill the men, take all of the women, carry off allsupplies and wipe out the settlement. The weird beat of the Tom Toms increased and thewild dances around a pole hung with an ever increasing number of human scalps added tothe uneasiness of the settlers.

    President Morley advised the people to fee them rather than fight them, but it was almostimpossible, most of their cattle had died and been carried away by the Indians before itwas even cold. There had been scanty crops because of frost, and dangerous roads laybetween them and their only source of more supplies. Their patience was at a breakingpoint, but still Indian demands rose higher.

    One night the Bradley family were all huddled together, an Indian had been killed by a

    white man and revenge was sworn by the red chiefs. Daniel and Amanda kept watch withher folks, for the feeling of eminent disaster seemed to hang over the settlement like ashroud. Then Amon, an Indian whom the Bradleys had fed in their home, came undercover of darkness and bid them all goodby for he said he would not be seeing them again.He said there was a massacre planned for that night at which time the entire settlementwould be wiped out. He said Chief Arapine had argued with Chief Walker, but it did nogood as he was set on getting the scalp of Charles Shumway and some others whom hehad a grudge against.

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    Daniel Henrie, George W. Bradley and others went immediately to President Morley withthis story and found the report to be true. He told them also that overtures for a settlementhad been extended to the Indians, but he had been asked to give up his youngest sonSimeon, whom Chief Walker had taken a special liking to, as his price for peace. Such aheart breaking deal had not been anticipated. All of the men there were stunned and

    secretly wondered in their hearts what their answer would be if they were faced with thesame decision as Father Morley. It was heart breaking, but finally the words came. Hesaid, if this is the price of peace let it be so, better that one child should be lost eventhough it is my own rather than that the whole settlement be wiped out. People stood bytheir guns all the rest of the night and expected trouble for weeks afterward. But after 3nights and days Chief Walker brought the child back to its parents saying the faith andfriendship of his white friend had been tested and found good. They were told much laterthat a very old Indian by the name of Sowiatat had done much to keep the peace, but thatChief Walker had not been at all happy about it.

    This was only one of the incidents that took place during those first hectic years in thesettlement. Chief Walker was a crafty, grasping, hypocritical Indian who could not be

    trusted even by his own people. He and his tribe of chieftains conspired and raised manycries provoking situations and Daniel Henrie as well as many other fine men of Mantiwere instrumental in keeping the peace.

    On the 14th of February 1851 Amanda's sister cynthia Abiah married young Isaac MorleyJr. and on July 16th of that same year her brother Jerome died at age of 20 years. Hishealth had been so undermined by his experience in the canyon that he was unable tocombat a siege of pneumonia and died one month before he was to have been married.Many Indians came and wept at his funeral and even followed the cortege to thecemetery, for he was a great favorite with them and spoke their language fluently. Hiswas the first grave in the new cemetery, but the 3rd death in the settlement.

    In the spring of 1850 lands had been allotted to each family in the settlement by vote ofthe entire camp and provisions had been made so that squatters rights could be secured bythem. Jessie W. Fox was the territorial surveyor and measured out the land.

    Daniel secured a good sized farm north west of town and a city lot across the road and alittle west of the rock fort. In the middle of this block he build a rock house with oneroom, where they lived for a while and where their second daughter, Myra Elizabeth wasborn on the 27th of January 1852. But as the size of their family increased this place wasnot big enough, so Daniel built a fine big 2 story rock house just west of the first onewhere Susan, Daniel Jr., Diantha, James B, Jerome B, Margaret, Melinda, Luna, Thomas,Jediah, and Loren were all born. The last 3 died babies.

    After moving into the new home he often allowed poor immigrants to use the first oneuntil they could find a place of their own. Still later when some of his children gotmarried they used it as a sort of a honeymoon cottage. It was pressed into service andused longer than usual by a certain English immigrant family. The man of this family wasespecially handy with seeds and plants. He loved to work with them and had what wetoday call a green thumb. Daniel would give him money and he would send back toEngland for special seeks, bulbs, starts and cuttings of different plants, shrubs and trees.

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    He had shipped from England the first sweet pit apricot and English walnut trees inManti, and Daniel distributed them all over the town that people might share his joy inraising thses things in their yards. He raised the first peaches in the valley, and was alsosuccessful in raising apples, pears, plums, gooseberries and English currents. At canningtime Amanda would always see to it that the sweet pits from the apricots were saved

    because children loved to crack them with the hammer and eat them and they were verygood in cookies, jam and molasses cake.

    But each time the little house became vacant it would revert to a granary or else a supplyroom which Daniel kept locked. He always managed to have sugar on hand for hisfamily, but since it was very scarce he kept it locked up here and would ration it out tomembers of his family himself. He wanted them to have what they needed, but he wasexceedingly thrifty and wanted to see to it personally that not a single grain of theprecious commodity was lost.

    On the extreme southwest corner of his property Daniel built a one-room shack of sawedpine which he kept scrupulously clean and used as a butcher shop. He had not been slow

    to realize that here as well as in California people would pay a good price to have theirmeat slaughtered and cut up for them. So he constructed a slaughter house outside oftown. He was very fussy about choosing the animals to be killed, but he would bring it tothe shop and cut it up into any size roast, boil or fry that his customers wanted. When hehad fresh meat he would put out a red flag nailed to the end of a protruding board on theshack, and about 6 o'clock in the morning people seeing it would rush to the place withtheir containers and usually all of the meat was gone by 9 o'clock the same morning. Henever kept books, but if anyone could not pay he wrote their name down on one of theboards of the shop wall and when payment was received he scratched it off. Indianscoming to the shp were often given free meat, and if ti was a widow or the wife of amissionary he did not charge her.

    One day while cutting up a beef the saw slipped and cut a deep gash in the fleshy part ofDaniel's hand, between the thumb and first finger. The sight and feeling of his own warmblood spurting out over his arm made him deathly sick and he fainted dead away. Hisson, Will came and saw him all covered with blood and he fainted too. Fred Cox andanother customer coming into the shop for meat dragged them both outside near the ditchand threw cold water on them until they came to.

    In the fall Daniel and his boys would go to the mountains and bring back deer and makejerky. It was made in two different ways, sometimes it was just wrapped in salt and left todehydrate and cure for about 10 days, and the other was to put it in salt brine with a littlebrown sugar and salt peter added and cure it like pork, then hang it from the rafters in the

    supply room or shop to dry. This meat when sliced thin like chipped beef made delicioussandwich meat and was very good added to milk gravy.

    Daniel was never a great hand to eat meat himself, but he liked this meat, he also likedcalves brains fried in butter. Other favorite dishes were squash pie and lumpy dick. Thislatter he had taught his soldier buddies to make on the long march to California and backwith the battalion, but it was much better now that he could have cream and sugar on it.

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    Daniel also built an outside cellar with a rock floor where they kept the mild cool in thesummer time, stored potatoes and vegetables in the winter and even made cheese once ina while.

    Daniel never milked for he hated that job and always had the older girls, Mary and Myrado it or a hired man, or his boys when they got old enough. They were all taught to gatherwild spinach or pig week greens for the table, and the older girls especially Mary andMyra were taught to glean wheat in the fields. One day they were working away at thisjob when they heard the cry of a baby, it seemed to be coming from the nearby canal, sothey both went to investigate and there in the bottom of the ditch on the damp sand lay anew born little black haired Indian baby. It was almost entirely surrounded by thick tallsweet clover and had been deserted not too long before they found it. They lookedeverywhere to see if they could find its mother, but their search was in vain, so they tookthe baby home to their mother who named her Sally and raised her to womanhood. Shegrew up to be a beautiful girl, was an expert at spinning, weaving and sewing. Shebecame the plural wife of Rastes Curtus Sr. of Moroni, against the wishes of the Henriefamily, and died at the birth of her first child.

    The Henries also took another young Indian girl into their home when an old buck cameand offered to trade her to them for a horse or bag of flour. She was a captured hostagefrom another tribe and was about 7 years old. The Henries fearing for her life gave himwhat he asked and took her in.

    Several other incidents involving Indians happened to the Henries over a period of years.I will relate some them briefly: Daniel had an unspoken understanding with the Indians.He fed them and treated them well and they in turn protected him and his family andmade it possible for him to go alone on horseback many places that would have beendangerous indeed for others to go. On one such trip Daniel had rolled up in a blanket

    beside the warmed rocks of a deadened camp fire when his horse whinnied and he knewother horses were near, and this meant only one thing to Daniel. In another second he wassurrounded by a raiding party of Indians. From their actions it was apparent that theymeant no good, but seemed to be looking for food. Finding little he felt sure theyintended to lift his scalp, when out of the darkness came still another Indian. Danielrecognized him as the starving, wounded redman they had fed and befriended when snowhad trapped them in the canyon. The Indians departed without harming him.

    Another incident occurred one night when a pinto pony belonging to Daniel disappeared.Daniel suspected that the Indians had taken it and complained to the chief who was agood friend of his. The chief said he would investigate, and the next day he brought thepony and the 2 Indians who had confessed to the deed to Daniel to name the punishment.

    The chief said they should be killed, but Daniel begged for their lives and they were setfree. These two Indians were so overcome with gratitude that they swore allegiance to aneverlasting friendship and said e would be their blood brother and from then on hisinfluence for peace was greatly strengthened.

    Amanda had her share of Indian troubles too. One day 13 or 14 ragged Indian youthswalked into the Henrie home unannounced and said, "Want bread! Hungry, want bread",and started toward the table to help themselves. Amanda grabbed the poker and told them

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    to stand back till she was ready to give them some. She gave each one a buttermilkbiscuit and told them to go. They said, "Heap brave squaw, good squaw." Her young son(named Jerome after his uncle) followed them outside and wrestled with them in the yardand got covered with lice, so his mother made him fill the wooden tub with water fromthe ditch and discard his clothes and take a bath. Then she came outside and went over

    his head with a fine tooth comb, much to his disgust. His mother hoped it might cure him,but it did not, he wrestled with them every chance he got.

    Amanda had cause to be called brave squaw on still another occasion. One day she arosefrom the fire place to see a large Indian standing a few feet behind her, she whirled andgrabbed the frying pan from the fire and said, "If you come one step nearer I'll split yourhead wide open." The Indian knew she meant what she said and left. Usually she waskind to these people. Whenever squaws came from Kanosh or Grass Valley to beg shealways gave them a pie plate full of flour to put in the sack they carried on their back andshe also gave them any old clothes or hats that could be spared.

    Amanda was an excellent cook, and on many occasions President Brigham Young and

    his Apostles shared the hospitality of their bed and board. Chicken soup with Danishdumplings was standard conference fare and no one made better dumplings thanAmanda. Buttermilk soda biscuits was also another of her specialties.

    She was a scrupulous housekeeper, but most of her furniture, except the big iron stovewas home-made by Daniel or hired done by a carpenter, but it was always kept dustedand her floors were scowered and scrubbed several times a week.

    She was a fine religious woman, paid a full tithing and was very gifted in the art of homenursing and the use of herbs. She raised and dried many of these herbs herself anddispensed them to neighbors and towns people alike wherever her help was needed andthey came from far and near to buy her canker medicine. She was good looking with darkpiercing eyes and long thick lashes. Her hair was copper tinted dark brown, very long(she could sit on it) and inclined to be wavy or curly, and her skin was smooth and clear.She was stylish, wore her clothes very well and was very fussy about the way they fit.She always insisted on a fine black dress for best, and it was usually trimmed in the latestbuttons, braid ruffles, pleats or tucks. She did not have much jewelry to wear outside ofamber and glass beads, but her ears were pierced and she loved to wear earrings. Danielhad had earrings made of gold nuggets for her and her 2 oldest daughters Mary and Myra,but they proved to be too heavy to wear so they were kept as heirlooms.

    Amanda loved to go out, but she did not get the chance to very often, for it seemed shewas always pregnant or tied down with babies. On one occasion in 1856 just a day or so

    after one of her babies (Dianthia) was born, Daniel was asked to go to Salt Lake on citybusiness. When he returned he brought a tall pleasant 18 year old girl to the bedside andsaid, "Amanda this is Susan Colman, she is my new plural wife." (The church advocatedplural marriages at that time, but the practice has long since been outlawed by them). ???

    Amanda never quite got over the shock or forgot or forgave him for the way he broke thisstupendous news to her. Susan was of rather large frame, tall and dark haired. She waskind and a good worker, and she and Amanda became very good friends. Daniel built a

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    little house to the north of the big one for her and she carried much of the burden of theHenrie household, doing most of the outside work. She did many favors for Amanda andAmanda in turn helped her, even served as wet nurse for some of Susan's children whenher milk left her and Amanda had more milk than she needed for her own baby.

    For years Amanda had been bothered with a cough. She doctored for it and tried anythinganyone prescribed, even to smoking a corn cob pipe. But nothing seemed to help toomuch for very long. We know now that she had asthma and had had it on the plains whenshe suffered so terribly much from the dust. This continual lung trouble affected her heartand often kept her bedfast. As she grew older and all of her own children were married,Daniel hired a girl or some of her grand children came in to help and to keep hercompany. Often they were allowed to stay over night and sleep on the big couch in thekitchen beside the fireplace, and in the light of the dying embers wold see a little fieldmouse or two creep under the worn door step and scamper about the warm room lookingfro crumbs.

    In 1863 the county seat was moved to Moroni, and Amanda's parents who had been

    living in Nephi (Mr. Bradley was serving as District probate Judge there) were called andasked to be the leaders of the new settlement. Indian affairs had become verytroublesome again and a white man was killed near Payson, so reprisals on both sides gotout of hand. Chief Walker was a Timpanogos Indian, lived near Spanish Fork and hadheld things in check may times, but failed to do so now because one of his band wasinvolved. Then the five year Black Hawk war started April 1865. There were a number ofopinions as to the direct thing that set it off. One source said Abner Lowery slapped anIndian Chief when he tried to steal flour from the mill, another source said Chief Jake hadbeen ignonimously yanked from a horse by a white man and a quarrel resulted in whichhe swore vengeance on the settlers, but whatever it was, cattle raids increased, killings onboth sides increased, war scalp dances were again held nightly by the Indians, and in one

    incident well remembered by Amanda and children they had waved goodby to two youngmen the raced 6 or 12 twelve miles after Indians who had stolen their cattle, only to seethe horses return with their bodies full of arrows lashed to the saddle. Their scalps hadbeen lifted and their hearts still dripping blood were hung on the saddle horn. Amandafainted dead away at the gruesome bloody sight. Daniel was out rounding up their owncattle and at first she thought one of the bodies might have been his.

    The State Militia was called on for help, and when they arrived George W. Bradley wascalled to organize the Minute Men for the protection of the county. Daniel was madecaptain. He was commissioned by Gov. Dirkie, Captain of Co. A Infantry, First Battalion,Second Regiment Nauvoo Legion. He took part in the salina encounter and remembered

    the scare and excitement aroused when Chief Anawakets, Chief Anthrean, Wanteroge,Sanpete, Wyplod's son Nats, John Aroupeen and Dick Broke jail in Manti, and the alarmwas sent out to all of the settlements to get them dead or alive. Some of these Indianswere killed others were taken alive near Nephi.

    As Daniel grew older and Indian and civic affairs were running more smoothly he lovedto go on long walks and frolic with his grand children. He was always wanting to runthem a foot race or throw snow balls or anything with a lot of action, and it was said henever left a group with leaving a smile or chuckle because of some joke or witty wise

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    crack he had left with them. In this way he was like his mother who had a great sense ofhumor and loved to dance. Daniel was a gay blade with the ladies and loved to dance too,so if neither of his wives could go with him he would take his daughters or go alone. Hewas not much for style himself, but he liked to see that his family had all of thenecessities of life, anything over and above this they worked for on the side. His daughter

    Myra remembered spinning and weaving all day at home then milking cows at night andmorning for Abner Lowery to buy a pair of store shoes for her wedding.

    Daniel was always strict and economical with his own family, but was soft hearted and apushover for down and out immigrants who traveled a beaten path to his door. Oneexample of this was a man and a family who were destitute. He let them settle on some ofhis land, and run it for several years. When the man made no attempt to pay him anythingfor crops or use of the land he was told to move, whereupon the man claimed squattersrights, and the wife cried and when Daniel saw the ragged condition of the children hedid not press things, but said I guess they need it worse than I do.

    He supplied another immigrant family with milk, fruit and a place to live for several

    years and all he got out of it was a couple of brass candle sticks which he gave Amandafor use on the mantle.

    He helped to build the council house tabernacle and many other public buildings inManti. He paid a full tithing and gave liberally to the poor and to missionaries in thefield.

    For work on the Manti temple he furnished laborers, wagons and horses for many monthswhile that house of the Lord was being built and took part in its program of laying thecorner stone, April 14th 1879. He was its greatest cash donator giving over one thousanddollars in gold.

    Daniel never read much except in the standard church works or the daily Deseret News,but he had a good speaking voice with much power behind it so he could be heard well ina crowd. He was often asked to speak at patriotic gatherings such as the 4th or 24th ofJuly. And it is related that on one such occasion a large flood came roaring down throughthe middle of town by way of willow creek, and when the alarm was sounded everyonerushed from the church to see what was taking place. That is, everyone but Daniel, hecontinued on to the end of his speech then ventured forth to see what all of the excitementwas about.

    He was always interested in the growth and betterment of the community and brought thefirst turkeys and hives of bees into that part of the state. His name was given people as a

    reference for he was honest and truthful and could always be depended upon. His wordwas as good as his bond. He was immovable in his convictions and always was known asa man of rare good judgement and clean habits. He neither used tea, coffee, tobacco orany strong drinks. His talents were versatile and he always applied himself well to the jobat hand, and had many good traits and qualities.

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    He was a farmer, stock raiser and road supervisor. He was Sheriff of Sanpete County for1 year, City Treasurer for 3 years, President of the 48th Quorum of Seventies for over 35years, and commissioned officer in both the Walker and Blackhawk Indian Wars.

    His first wife Amanda was a wonderful, kind hearted woman who gave valuable aid andassistance to the community in time of sickness, saved many a life and brought many ababy into the world when a doctor or midwife was not available.

    Daniel and Amanda were the parents of 14 children, all born in Manti, Utah except MaryA. who was born in Bountiful. The last 3 died in infancy, they were Thomas Jefferson,Udiah Grant, and Loren. All of the 11 others grew to maturity, married and had families,and 3 were among the first colonizers of Emery County. Their names and names of theirhusbands are as follows:

    Mary Amanda married Ezra K. FunkMyra Elizabeth married John OlsonSusan L. married George Byron Cox Sr.

    Daniel Jr. married Alzina StringhamDiantha married William StringhamJames B. married Mariah Westenskow and Thea A. LundMargaret Estella married Alma JohnsonMelenda Euphema married William J. KillpackLuna Abiah married Otto Otteson

    Amanda was born 15 January 1829 at the town of Clarence, Erie County, New York anddied at the age of 74 on the 7th of March 1903 at Manti and was buried in the Manti CityCemetery.

    His plural wife, Susan Coleman, was a fine hard working woman and a good mother,

    some of her children helped settle places in Oregon and far away Canada. They were theparents of 12 children, 5 of whom died in infancy. They are as follows:

    Rachel married Charles PattonArthur married Mary C. JorgensenSamuel married Hannah E. BoyingtonElizabeth married Edward E. RiedJoseph Thadeas married Mary SorensonMargaret F.Nora LenoraCoradell married John Franklin Maylett

    MaudEthelEllis married Ethel ArmstrongMyra

    Susan Colman was born 4th August 1839 at Niagra, Heartland County, New York anddied at the age of 77 on the 4th of February 1916 at Manti and was buried in the CityCemetery.

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    Through thrift Daniel became well situated financially. He owned stock in the MantiCoop store, sheep in the co-op herd and valuable farming and pasture lands just north oftown. He also owned a store house which still stands as a valuable landmark of pioneerdays.

    In spite of the privations endured while a soldier in the Mormon Battalion and thoseincident to Pioneer life, Daniel lived to the age of 89 years and was lovingly called UncleDaniel by all who knew him, friend and relative alike.

    He died the 28th of June 1914 at Manti, Sanpete County, Utah and was buried in thefamily plot of the Manti City Cemetery, "Across the road from the temple he so dearlyloved."

    This history is written not only that it be used by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers but alsothat members of my family might more fully appreciate the character, courage, ambition,and accomplishments of this fine man who was our progenitor.

    Thus I have used material from journals, histories and research for background, plusfamily records, incidents told to me by friends and relatives, and many stories related tome by my grandmother, Myra Henrie Olson, who was his 2nd child.

    Since his background and the first part of his life is pretty much the same of that of hisfather's family I will merely repeat here the fore part of the history I wrote about hisfather and mother, William and Myra Mayall Henrie.

    Other references

    Article written for the Manti Sentinel by Daniel Henrie

    Deseret News and Andrew Jensen references

    D.U.P. Bulletin for battalion march back-ground.


    Myra Henrie Olson Margaret Henrie Johnson Jerome Henrie

    Grand children:

    Lavern Funk Larson Alice Johnson Nielson Loretta Olson Draper Euphemia Olson Anderson

  • 8/14/2019 Henrie Daniel


    Edna Olson Morley Daniel L. Olson Alphonso Henrie